So seven or so years ago I got married and as a result had all of these brand spankin new pots, pans, mixing bowls, utensils…yada, yada. I was super excited to use them…
If only I knew how.
At that point I think my master chef skills consisted of Mac and Cheese, spaghetti (from the jar), Hamburger Helper and maybe sandwiches.
Fortunately for me, Mr. Sauer sincerely likes those things and now that I have a few more dishes under my belt he still requests them every so often. Yes. He requests Hamburger Helper…even if I have the ingredients to make the “real” version of the same darn thing. It’s the simple things friends. 🙂
So I began thinking the other day of allllll the lessons I’ve slowly learned about cooking and wishing I would have known all of these little, but sometimes significant things and then I thought I’d share them.
Here ya go (some of these may be obvious…I’m a slow learner):
- How to cook vegetables. Who knew you could boil, bake, grill, broil…etc.
- Easy Peesy does NOT have to mean casserole.
- I don’t, in any way like to bake….BUT my hubby loves baked goods and turns out I make a mean cobbler. 😉
- Parchment paper and wax paper are two VERY different things!
- Food on the fly=broil (unless your oven is dirty, then broil equals smoke detector and opening windows)
- Add salt and a tad bit of oil to boiling noodles. They taste so much better!
- There is a healthier way to make almost everything and it’s worth trying.
- Flax seed can be used as an egg replacement and then I can eat my cookie dough! Whoot!
- NEVER try new recipes for guests. Just don’t.
- When a recipe says drizzle oil…seriously drizzle…you could start a fire. Remember: drizzle or sizzle.
- Read the entire recipe before starting it. I’m not sure how many times I’ve realized mid-recipe that I am not able to finish it.
- If your hubby likes to cook…LET him every so often.
- How to sear meat.
- If you mess up, try it again, it can only get better.
- All the ways to cook eggs!
last but not least…the one it took my husband years to tell me.
- I over salt. Like WAY over salt. 😦 Boo. It tastes perfect to me! So now we salt our own food. 🙂
I like Pinterest but I think it’s is a huge waste of time if you never do anything with it so this entire month is Pinterest recipe month. I’ll let you know how it goes!
Have a happy day!